Something to chew on

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Here we go...

Well, here I go again... and I'm not going to make this a blog as much as an online journal for myself... to hold myself accountable. I'm trying to lose weight.

Again.

My highest weight several years ago was 188. My lowest weight was 142. And that's what my doctor called my "fighting weight." Right now I'm hovering right in the middle at 166, and it's time take get my butt in shape again. Not only for vanity reasons, but because said doctor has threatened me with a liver biopsy.

Here's the story... several months ago during my annual routine exam, my liver enzymes tested just above normal. No reason to be alarmed, he tells me. He believes it's just "fatty liver." How gross does that sound??? He thinks losing 10 percent of my body weight will take care of the problem. So, six pounds ago I started working on that. Once I get to 155 I'm calling him to schedule a retest of those enzymes. If for some reason my count is not better, he said we'll explore a liver biopsy. I think he was just trying to scare me into action. And, boy, did it work!!!

Oh, I'm also going to reward myself with a new haircut. So, goal number 1 is to get to 155 pounds. Goal number 2, simply for my own vanity, is 145. (If anyone who calls themselves "Huggins" or "Fowler" is reading this, you know that 142 was a little low for me... HA!!!)

I've come to the conclusion that my food problem is this... I think if no one sees me eat it, the calories don't count. Juvenile, dangerous and just plain wrong, I'm going to try to get over that little misconception with some journaling. At the end of every evening, starting tomorrow, Feb. 1, I will list every bite and count every calorie right here. And I won't leave one single nibble out. No matter how embarrassing or icky it may sound to anyone. (I had brussel sprouts this evening, yummy!!!) I'll also include any activity that might burn a calorie or two.

No one has to pay attention or keep up with my weight loss or anything at all. Just don't bake me any cookies...

4 Comments:

  • Summer,
    Okay. You have me hooked. I'm going to be watching your blog everyday to make sure you don't cheat. How's that for pressure?!!

    Actually, I've done pretty good doing the Weight Watchers thing. I don't really count calories-I count "points". I'm not sure if you're familiar with the way it's done, but it works for me. It's all about portion size and smart choices. You don't have to eat brussel sprouts the rest of your life.

    Exercise also helps.

    Please feel free to visit my blog. Remember, I'm watching!

    Jim

    By Blogger Jim, at January 31, 2006 8:48 PM  

  • HA!!! No pressure at all...

    I have a good friend who's on WW right now and doing great with it. My fear is that I would eat all of my points by noon... :-D

    By Blogger Summer, at February 01, 2006 11:48 AM  

  • Summer,
    where have you gone? I thought I was supposed to help hold you accountable. Have you dried up and blown away?

    By Blogger Jim, at February 21, 2006 8:29 PM  

  • wow. my heaviest was 181. my lowest about 139 which is nice for me. and i'm hovering in the middle now - wanting to just kill myself. not really. but you know what i mean...

    By Blogger michael, claudia and sierra, at October 14, 2007 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger