Something to chew on

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Turning Point

I did not weigh Saturday. I didn't want to and I knew I wouldn't have posted a loss anyway. So I ate with abandon over the weekend. Cupcakes, wings, hamburgers, the whole bit. And I felt physically horrible because of it.

Monday evening after work we ran, and I continued to feel horrible. Heavy, tired, slow, puffy. I knew it was the terrible eating over the weekend, and I don't want to feel like that. I am coming to realize that the better I eat, the better I run. And the better (more) I run, the better I eat. It's a great cycle to get myself into, and I'm trying.

I am also on day two of no caffeine. My head is finally starting to feel like it's deflating and is a normal size again, and the pounding has slowed to a gentle thump. I didn't set out to cut the caffeine from my day, but it's an indirect result of me finally telling myself the truth about my morning vanilla lattes. I wasn't counting the points. I was having one each morning and somewhere in my mind I was letting myself believe that they didn't count. That if they did count, I was walking them off every day when I was walking dogs. That it took me an hour to drink one, so the points were going into my system so slowly they didn't count.

And even though when I stepped on our home scale this morning I was still up from the weekend, I feel like I've turned a corner. One where I'm more honest with myself. As much as I'd like to be thin by next Monday, I know that ultimately this is a lifelong journey toward health. The shape of my body is just a side effect.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Congrats on your turning point. I think that's great. I definitely know about cheating yourself. I've done it a billion times.

    ..and congrats on 2 days of no caffeine! That's remarkable! (: I'm doing a detox diet currently (that I got on with/after a friend did it for nutritional reasons)...and therefore I've had to quit the caffeine too. I haven't had any in 15 days. Generally, I down about 4 cans of diet soda daily. That first week was pretty much hell, but it gets better! (:

    By Blogger Claire, at September 23, 2008 2:47 PM  

  • Oh yes. In the past I could easily down two or three cans of Diet Dr Pepper on top of my morning latte. I quick that a couple of weeks ago too, it was just tearing my stomach to shreds.

    Good luck on the detox! :-)

    By Blogger Summer, at September 23, 2008 4:43 PM  

  • Good job on day two, if you can keep it going it is a great feeling to be free of Caffeine. Claire and I have almost made it a month! Woo Hoo. After we got off our detox diet we did treat ourselves to a little sushi (which of course I had to write a review about). But I think the little treats here and there keep you going. As long as you can remember that they are just little treats! Thats the hard part for me.

    By Blogger Chance, at October 05, 2008 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger