Something to chew on

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Food Pantry Blog Project: Day 1

Well, I just completed my first day with the food pantry blog project that many Austin bloggers are participating in starting today. I must say, I need to work on my black-bean skills for the rest of the week. But I will admit: Black beans and rice with a spoonful of salsa made for an awesome lunch.

It was a bit of an emotional morning getting started. I found myself worrying all morning about having enough food to feed me and Cole for the week. (Just imagine making the list last for a whole month.)

Here's how my day actually looked:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with a bit of butter and half a can of sliced pears. I'm not a fan of pears, but it was good to get some good, cool fruit in.

Lunch: Black beans and rice with a spoonful of salsa. It really made a great lunch, but I need to work on my bean skills.

Dinner: Spaghetti and garlic bread.

So I walk away from Day 1 proud of myself for sticking to what I "received" from the food pantry and what I was able to supplement with my food stamp-equivalent purchase. I also realize that I need to get more veggies in, and that's definitely on the menu for tomorrow.

One thing that I didn't expect but that I found myself doing all day: measuring like a mad woman. If I have to make things last a whole week/month, I'm rationing and portioning every step of the way...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Is Cole taking the stuff you make for lunch to work to eat or is he buying his own lunch? Because that's kinda cheating if he buys his own lunch. You're not really making it last a week for two people. (I just want to see him forced to eat black beans.)

    By Blogger Stacey, at April 23, 2010 11:40 AM  

  • this is such an interesting, thought-provoking project. It's gotta be SO much harder than anyone realizes, and I'd be right there with you worrying and measuring and worrying.

    --elizabeth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 23, 2010 11:55 AM  

  • Not to make light of it at all, but here's the scenario I'm living off of in my head: I'm a single, unemployed mom who's home all day, so I have to use this food for all three meals for myself. Cole is on his own -- the "kid" who is able to take advantage of breakfast and lunch programs at school, but has dinner with me at home. That way, I'm still living the project in a very real-world way, but I'm not forcing Cole to eat black beans every single day. He didn't sign up for that! :-)

    By Blogger Summer, at April 23, 2010 11:55 AM  

  • Thanks for visiting, Elizabeth. I'm definitely learning alot about myself along the way, as well as thinking about strangers -- folks whose circumstances I have no idea about -- in a totally different way.

    By Blogger Summer, at April 23, 2010 11:57 AM  

  • OK, just checking to make sure he's not getting off the hook from learning a valuable life lesson (ha, ha).

    By Blogger Stacey, at April 23, 2010 4:54 PM  

  • Due to a red-tape snafu, I recently didn't have my food stamps. I had to go to a pantry. They gave me MREs (military meals ready to eat.) They were made for people who are expending a lot more calories than the average person, although I can see them being very good for the homeless with their little heaters. But to someone who is trying to feed a family healthily, just forget it. They were sugar-intensive and carb-explosive. I am happy to have my food stamps back (I assure you it's temporary) because at least I can make my own choices this way!

    Keep blogging. It's a very interesting project.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 24, 2010 8:07 AM  

  • It is a really interesting recipe. Next weekend I'll try it for my kids. I hope it will look as yours.

    By Anonymous Anna, at January 08, 2016 3:59 PM  

  • Ooo so delicious! I love making waffles at home. That is such a cool method of making waffles!! I'll have to give that a try!

    By Anonymous Alra Reo, at December 13, 2017 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger