Something to chew on

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tonight We Meet; Tomorrow We Blog

A group of about 30 local food bloggers will get together at the Capital Area Food Bank this evening to talk about a project to raise awareness of hunger, not only around the country but right here in Austin. And I'll be there.

We've each been given a list of food that a family typically receives in a bag of groceries from a local food pantry. We can also supplement that list with the amount that we might get on food stamps. Then we'll eat from it for a week.

There is such an imbalance in our country: A recent CNN article said that 17 percent of children in our country are obese. Not just overweight, but obese. Yet, according to statistics, one in five Texans don't know where their next meal will come from.

I plan to attack this project from two directions: On a personal note, I hope it will give me a greater understanding and appreciation of food so that I can tackle the odd relationship that I have with it. I also hope that I can talk even just one person into donating to their local food bank or pantry to help someone else out.

Follow along with all the bloggers on the food bank's blog. And I'll give you a daily update here.

Wish me luck! And go ahead and donate five bucks while you're thinking about it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger