Something to chew on

Monday, February 26, 2007

Mustard-Roasted Potatoes

I cooked dinner tonight. I mean, I didn't just boil water for pasta or grill pre-marinated chicken breasts. I actually cooked dinner.

We had butterflied pork chops baked in a raspberry-chipotle sauce and sprinkled with fresh breadcrumbs, and roasted new potatoes. I don't know if you're looking for a recipe for great roasted new potatoes, but this one is simple and fabulous. It came from Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa at Home" cookbook. Cole got it for me for Christmas last year. I've always been intimidated by her recipes, but this one is easy and very good.

Mustard-Roasted Potatoes
2.5 pounds small red potatoes
2 yellow onions (I only use half of one)
3 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size, and place them on a sheet pan. Cut onions into half-rounds and toss with potatoes on sheet pan. Add olive oil, mustard, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and pepper, and toss everything together. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are lightly browned. Toss from time to time during baking so they brown evenly. Sprinkle hot potatoes with parsley and more salt to taste, and serve.

One thing about the kosher salt: Because of this book I only cook with it now, no more table salt. Cole probably thinks I'm crazy, that salt is salt, but I can really taste the difference. Plus, it's cool to touch while I'm using it. Table salt isn't fun in the palm of my hand.

Enjoy!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Ohhhhh hmmmmm! My mouth was watering when reading your post.

    I love mustard! I just imagined your roasted potatoes and my eyes were tearing of envy. :)

    My favorite mustard is the east-german "Bautzener". But only the very hot kind which you can feel in your nose when eating. Ahhhhh! How delicious to eat with eggs, sausages or potatoes.

    Have to eat something now......

    ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 08, 2007 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger