Something to chew on

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kahuna's Icehouse: A Review

Cole and I hit Lake Travis today for a little skiing and relaxation, and when we finished with about three hours on the water, I was starving.

We tried to go to Carlos and Charlie's on the water, but they were slammed. Cole remembered noticing a new place yesterday as we were heading home called Kahuna's Icehouse, so we decided to give them a try. And I'm glad we did.

From the outside, it looked like it would be a very casual place, perched on the end of a strip center on Highway 620 just a couple of miles north of Highway 71, so I didn't feel bad about wearing my wet swimsuit and a tank top inside. Plus, how stuffy could a place with an "open" sign shaped like a surfboard be?!?!

As we walked in, I immediately noticed all the TVs (they were watching soccer), surfboards and hula girls decorating the place. There were only employees in there, so that worried me for a brief second, but we quickly found out they were only in their second day of full service. One of the waiters (managers?) that we spoke to gave us a quick rundown of the highlights of the menu. I decided to go with his recommendation of the grilled mahi mahi tacos. They were excellent!!! The fish was incredibly tender, the tortillas fresh, and the cool cabbage was a great complement to the spicy red pepper sauce.

Cole went with a pizza and liked it enough that he brought the leftovers home to have for lunch tomorrow. He said the crust was "okay" but the sauce was very good. That's a high compliment coming from him...

And because I burned so many calories skiing (HA!!!), I decided to try their peanut butter pie. Oh my. If you are a fan of peanut butter, or pie, or Oreos, or any combination of the above, you must try this pie. It was so rich and served at a perfect cooled (not too cold) temperature. It wasn't overly sweet. Everything I can tell you about it was just right.

So, the next time you're out toward Lake Travis, stop by Kahuna's for a beer and a snack, and support a new local small business. Call us and we'll meet you there!!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger