Something to chew on

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Trying something new

Normally, I'm pretty scared to cook anything where the recipe lists more than four ingredients. I fear having to julienne or blanch something. I like to cook, but I like to cook fast and easy.

BUT, this evening I created my very own recipe. (I tried to use the word "invent," but Cole wouldn't go for that.) I have been hungry this week for avocados, so I tried to look for a recipe that came close to the Avocado Club Rolls at California Pizza Kitchen. Something I know Cole likes too. I couldn't find anything really close, and I didn't want to have to deep fry anything. So I started brainstorming...

The rolls from CPK have avocado, cheese, tomato, bacon and chicken in a fried wonton wrap. I don't know where in the world to find wonton wraps in Austin (probably Whole Foods, but they're too far away), so I went with Athen's fillo dough.

Here's the recipe I came up with:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Before opening the fillo dough, prepare the sliced avocados, crumbled bacon, shredded chicken and shredded cheese. (The fillo dries out quickly, so have everything ready to assemble and back).

I used about five thin sheets of fillo for each wrap; brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper. To each group of five sheets, I added about 1/8 cup shredded chicken, two slices of fresh Hass avocado, a pinch of crumbled bacon and some shredded cheese (I'll probably use more cheese next time). I rolled it all up like a burrito, and brushed the top with a bit more butter, salt and pepper.

Bake for 20 minutes and there you go. From what I can calculate, they were only five WW points each. Not too bad...

Last week I was up .6 on the official scale. Here's hoping for a loss come Friday evening!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger