Something to chew on

Monday, April 28, 2008

Lesson Learned

I'm not a drinker, and never really have been. Sure, I'll have a glass of wine with dinner a couple of times a year.

But when I think back to my college days hard enough -- one particular Friday night specifically -- I can distinctly remember the taste and smell of Hot Damn Cinnamon Schnapp's. Mixing it with 7-Up was like drinking liquid Red Hots. Good for a while, but I drank too much and it revisited me for two days if you know what I mean. For years I couldn't even smell the little candies because they reminded me of that weekend and the pink heat that I threw up throughout the weekend. It was a hard lesson to learn, but I'm happy to report it hasn't happened again.

This weekend, I learned another valuable lesson: The worse I eat, the worse I feel.

I know this. We all know this. But this weekend, mad at the scale Saturday morning after a two-pound gain, I went a little nuts. Fresh chocolate chip cookies. Fried chicken. French fries. And on top of all that, I was craving pasta. By Sunday afternoon, I was feeling it. Sluggish, bloated, tired, almost woozy. I had a couple of saltine crackers and vowed not to eat dinner, until Cole suggested a nice, cool salad and a bite of pasta to get it out of my system.

Boy, did that salad hit the spot. Crisp and cool lettuce, fresh Granny Smith apples, roma tomatoes, pecans. It was just what I needed to get past the carb-overload hump. I felt instantly better somehow. I had about six bites of pasta and was satisfied.

I need to remember how bad I feel when I eat poorly, and how well-fueled I feel when I lean toward the healthy side of the food pyramid. I love me some homemade chocolate chip cookies, but I'm afraid they're inching up the list of icky foods in my mind. Not quite up there with cinnamon Schnapp's, but this weekend, they came close.

Today's points:

Breakfast: muffin: 4 points
banana: 2 points

Lunch: Smart Ones ravioli: 5 points
saltines: 1 point
apple: 1 point

Afternoon snack: English muffin w/melted cheese: 2 points

Pre-workout: 100-calorie Balance bar: 2 points

Dinner: chicken-ranch quesadilla: 6 points
chips and salsa: 3 points

TOTAL: 26 points. Not great, but I had a good workout...

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • From the start of it, I thought this was going to be a post about how you got tore up this weekend!! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 29, 2008 7:30 AM  

  • If there's an upside to eating all the junk for a few days, it is that it reminds you of all the reasons you left that style of eating behind and a salad and fresh fruit really look good again!

    By Blogger Kathy, at April 29, 2008 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger