Something to chew on

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Eating Locally

We have some friends who are venturing out with family to start a new business, Summerlin Farms. They offer locally grown, pasture-raised beef from just down the highway in Thorndale, Texas. Cole and I got to make our first purchase from them over the weekend, and I cooked up our first meal from our purchase this evening. The Pike's Peak roast to be exact.

Here's what our first local-beef dinner looked like:

Pike's Peak roast (ours was 2.25 pounds)
1 large yellow onion
1 bottle of pale ale (I used Sam Adams, but I imagine it wouldn't matter)
1 bay leaf
salt
pepper

I chopped the onion into large chunks and put half of the chunks into the slow cooker. I then salted and peppered the roast and put it on top of onions. I topped it with the remainder of onions and slowly poured the beer and dropped a bay leaf in, just for fun. I simmered on low heat in the slow cooker for six hours.

Delicious! It actually reminded me of the Sunday-afternoon roasts we used to have at Gran's house. Those came from the cows that Grandad raised, and there was such a natural and delicious flavor. Same with this first cut of beef we've tried from Summerlin Farms.

The only thing missing from tonight's roast was the buckshot.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger