Something to chew on

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Now a Treasured Photograph

I got a difficult call from my dad while I was out running errands during lunch today. His dad, my grandfather, had passed away just minutes before.

I hadn't had much of a relationship with that set of grandparents for about the last 15 years, but Daddy had been able to start to repair and rebuild his relationship with them over the last few. I remember several times when he would go out to their farm to help B.J., my grandfather, trim branches from trees or feed cattle or just sit down and visit with them over lunch. What had been a strained and silent relationship between them was mending. So when Daddy asked me to join him to visit them during Christmas 2008, I was nervous to do so after so many years, but excited at the same time.

Our visit was pleasant and friendly, no hint of regret or anger, and I was glad to be able to visit with both of my dad's parents after so many years. I took this picture of Daddy and B.J. that day. That was the last time I saw him. He was 85 years old.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger