Something to chew on

Monday, September 17, 2007

The Way We Were

How have I not blogged since last Wednesday?!?! I have no idea where the last few days have gone... the lake, football games, taking in a movie. Time flies...

But last night at dinner (we had grilled porkloin and homemade applesauce by the way) -- as I put a spoonful of applesauce and three slices of porkloin on a giant dinner plate that didn't even end up halfway full -- I started thinking about the way we used to eat when I was growing up.

I fondly remember Sunday lunches on Gran's house that included a plate piled with pork chops or roast along with fresh fried okra, mashed potatoes and Granny's homemade bread fresh from the oven. Sweet tea quenched our thirst, then the meal was followed by pecan pie or strawberry shortcake or homemade ice cream. How did we live like that?!? I'll tell you how: We finished lunch and went outside to ride bikes or run up and down the street. We worked up a sweat seeing how high we could fly on the tire swing that Grandad hung in the oak tree. We ran through the sprinklers and built houses and forts out of old boxes. We jumped. We skipped. We were active.

Maybe we need to approach activity like we were kids again. I've dug the bike out of the garage and am riding a bit again. I have a hula hoop, maybe I should hit the backyard and swivel for a few minutes. Or roll in the grass with a dog. Or jump through the sprinkler the next time we water. Tomorrow morning, I'm definitely going on a bike ride.

My day in numbers...

Breakfast: WW blueberry bar: 2 points
banana: 2 points

Mid-morning snack: yogurt: 1 point
WW chocolate/caramel bar: 1 point

Lunch: sandwich: 7 points

Afternoon snack: WW snack cake: 1 point
cherub tomatoes: 0 points

Dinner: lasagna: 6 points
salad: 2 points

TOTAL: 22 points. Perfect for a Monday.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • You are so right. I bet I could eat like a 17yo again if I'd do the same level of activity. Here's what I used to do every afternoon, my senior year in high school:
    Stop by Sonic for TWO chili pies. Or by McDonald's for two boxes of fries. And then I went home and ate at least 2 servings of everything for dinner.

    But I spent most of my afternoons running and jumping for 2-3 hours.

    Where do I get the TIME now??? :) I could so do that. If you could fix my schedule. :)

    By Blogger lcreekmo, at September 18, 2007 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger