Something to chew on

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Death Did Not Court Me

I rode my bike again this morning. With much more success than last time. But as I dressed to head out, I started getting nervous... Would there be a terrible repeat of Monday's hard ride??? How did I let myself get this out of shape??? How long will it take to build up my stamina again??? What's the point???

I decided to ignore the veloway this time. Those hills kicked my butt Monday, and I think the veloway is something to work up to. So I kept myself on surface streets. I'm not crazy enough to ride on Mopac or 360 like some cyclists do, but our extended neighborhood provides a nice 30-minute, fairly level ride. Don't get me wrong, there were some hills. But little ones comparatively. My nerves tried to take over as I would come upon one, but then the lazy part of my brain would jump in with, "oh, just think of the nice breeze I'll get to feel as I coast down the other side."

I think that will be my plan of action for at least two weeks at least: neighborhood surface streets to build back up again. Then I'll tackle the veloway with a renewed sense of mental preparedness and physical stamina. And that is the point, right, to progress. To feel better, to be healthier, to maybe even look better along the way.

One cool sight today: As I did my cool down in front of the Wildflower Center before heading to the house, I rode up on a father out walking his daughter. She was probably 1ish, not walking yet and relaxing in a stroller. He was picking a couple of flowers off the side of the street to show her and then gently holding them up to her nose. After she smelled the flowers and made a funny face, the dad added them to a bunch they had apparently been collecting along the walk in a little joint of the stroller. I bet they had a beautiful day together and had a cute little bunch of flowers waiting for the mom when she got home...

Today...

Breakfast: banana: 2 points
Smart Ones muffin: 4 points

Mid-morning snack: chips: 2 points
(mindless snacking in the kitchen)

Lunch: English muffin pizzas: 4 points

Afternoon snack: trail mix: 3 points

... then I quit counting for the day and we still haven't decided what to have for dinner. I'd like to do something yummy and sinful like a burger. Oops!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger