Something to chew on

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Peach-Blueberry Crisp Recipe

Here's a new recipe for you to try. I picked it up this weekend at Central Market and it was so good. (Don't tell Cole, but I made it with organic fruit.) I'm sure it's meant to be a dessert, but we had it alongside sandwiches. Very yummy!!!

Fresh Peach and Blueberry Crisp
3 cups fresh peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 tsp. almond extract*
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 stick butter

*I didn't haven't almond extract on-hand, so I just used vanilla extract instead.

Preheat over to 375 degrees.

Peel and cube peaches.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, extract, lemon juice, sugar and 2 Tbsp. flour. Pour into a deep-dish pie plate or 8x8" baking dish.

In a separate bowl, blend 1 cup flour, brown sugar, almonds and butter; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over berry mixture and bake for 30 minutes.

I'd suggest letting it cool about 10 minutes before enjoying.

Here's how my day ended up:

Breakfast: Smart Ones muffin: 4 points

Mid-morning snack: banana: 2 points

Lunch: sandwich: 5 points
peach-blueberry crisp: 8 points (I had seconds)

Afternoon snack: pretzels: 2 points

Dinner: Hatch chile chicken sausage: 5 points
apple and parmesan: 3 points
dessert (leftover crisp) 4 points

TOTAL: Please keep in mind, I had almost decided not to add up or post this total since I know I've gone way overboard today. As of this very second, I still haven't added up all my points. But that's why I'm here. That's why I'm blogging. To keep a true count and to be accountable, to myself if to no one else. 33. Eleven too many. Hey, at least I ate plenty of fruit today!!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • The recipe sounds yummy.

    My mother likes to make cobblers using splenda and now splenda even has a brown sugar.

    I really enjoy your posts. I am on my own weight loss journey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 15, 2007 1:40 PM  

  • I use Splenda in my coffee and tea, but I just haven't jumped into cooking/baking with it yet. It's just not something my brain ever thinks to do. I'll have to give it a try in something soon. Just don't tell my husband... ;-)

    By Blogger Summer, at August 15, 2007 1:49 PM  

  • I use splenda quite a bit when I bake. I was even able to transform some oatmeal bars so that they are CORE as well. It works well in recipes, and my husband doesn't know the difference. I love your blog, too : )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 22, 2007 2:50 PM  

  • um ... you should never use splenda. It's like poison to your body! your better of using sugar. I cut the sugar in half ... no matter what recipe I am making. It still tastes great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 27, 2010 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger