Something to chew on

Monday, August 24, 2009

Homemade Dog Treats


I was really itching to bake something Sunday afternoon. Cookies? Cupcakes? I know myself, and I knew if I baked something scrumptious I could eat half the batch by myself. So I opted for fresh dog treats instead!

Mom gave me a cute little dog-treat cookbook a couple of years ago that came with a bone-shaped cookie cutter. I just flipped through it to find a recipe that worked with ingredients I already had in the house. This one couldn't be simpler:
  • 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
Cream the butter and cheese together with a fork. Work in flour and milk. Form into a ball and roll 1/4 inch thick. Cut and bake at 375 for 28-30 minutes.

The house smelled so good while they were baking, like there was a fresh loaf of some fancy cheese bread in the oven. The boys loved them! We even shared a few with a the neighbors' new dog. Their 5-year-old told us "He didn't even spit it out!" So I guess he liked them too.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger