Something to chew on

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Honesty, Health and Vanity

Brian over at Lose Weight With Me posted his list of the 10 reasons he's losing weight after he was inspired (or guilted, hehe) by other bloggers who had done the same. I thought I was losing weight for two reasons -- health and vanity -- but after reading his list, I think I can go a little deeper than that.
  1. The health of my body parts that I can't even see. Almost two years ago, my liver enzymes tested high at a regular annual check up. My doctor, correctly, thought that it was "fatty liver" and told me that losing a few pounds would probably correct the count. He was right and I haven't let myself get to that point again.
  2. The health of the parts I can see. When we're healthy, not just thin, we show it. Our skin has a glow, our hair is shiny and beautiful, our posture is better. I'm not losing weight just to look thinner, I'm losing weight to look (and be) healthier.
  3. Shopping sprees. I want to buy $150 jeans that my body will rock in. It's not fun to buy jeans in a size 14 or to have to go up a size when I find a must-have shirt. I like to shop when I know I can buy a size that I won't just physically be comfortable in, but that I will mentally be comfortable in too.
  4. Looking younger. Like Brian, I definitely want to look as young as possible. I won't ever look 21 again, but I don't have to look 35 either.
  5. Turning heads. Okay, my sweet husband tells me all the time that I'm hot because it's in his contract to do so, but catching the eye of a handsome stranger would definitely be a boost for the ol' ego. I don't remember the last time that happened...
  6. Staying away from needless meds. I don't want to have to take drugs prescribed for helping with high blood pressure or cholesterol. If I can, I'd like to lose enough weight and maintain that loss well enough to have those things under control naturally, which they are now. I just don't want to have to turn to the pharmacist for help on such things simply because of my weight.
  7. The possibility of becoming a mother. I would think that starting a pregnancy at a healthier, lower weight would make losing that after-baby weight much easier. Or at least there would be less to have to tackle if that time comes.
  8. Participating in life. I'd like to rock climb one of these days, and I don't want to be afraid that the ropes won't hold me or be afraid of the harness cutting off the circulation in my legs.
  9. Learning life's lessons. My mother struggled with her weight most of my life, and I learned a lot because of what she went through. She's now 175 pounds lighter and has been for five years, and I want her to know that she didn't just make a difference in her life and health, but in mine too.
  10. To look smokin' hot. Wait, did I mention that already?!?!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Hey, Summer -- great list! You put my #7 to good use.

    :-)

    Brian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 02, 2007 5:49 PM  

  • Never in my life did I think I would be vain enough to shell out for a pair of $150 jeans, but I have to say that they are SO worth it! I've never owned jeans that fit so perfectly. Now I own two pair of $150 Seven For All Mankind jeans. That's a good goal to strive for!

    By Blogger Stacey, at May 02, 2007 10:01 PM  

  • Great List! I haven't owned jeans is so long - I may have to add that one to my list too. :) Lady Rose

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 03, 2007 1:57 PM  

  • Great list. Although all of my common sense tells me that $150 jeans are crazy. I desperately want some too. I remember when I was skinny and wearing the perfect pair of jeans could get me anything I wanted. AHH, good times.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 03, 2007 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger