Something to chew on

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No Wonder We Have Issues...

If you run in the same Twitter circles that I do, you read two articles today that couldn't be more different from each other.

One encouraged "fatties" to "get a room" in an article where the author confesses to being grossed out by simply watching someone who's overweight walk across a room.

The other, written by a single dad who's ready to see a change -- not only in the way the media and other men see women, but in the way we see ourselves -- had me feeling comfortable in my own skin, ready to give up worrying about trying to be perfect. Whatever that word means.

One hurt my stomach.

One made me proud of my freckles.

One article made me cringe to call myself a writer or a woman.

One article made me want to be better at being both.

One article brought tears to my eyes for anyone who has ever had to endure the stares from eyes filled with such harmful judgment.

One made me want to smile more.

Both articles have me wanting to hug every woman that I know to tell her how special, funny, beautiful and smart she is. Not for the size of her thighs or the number printed in her jeans, but because she's just exactly who she is. And that's perfect.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • oof that first article made me so angry I even read the comments. But your post title says it all. I mean honestly. but that second article? really cool.

    the whole thing gets so crazy, i think, because after i read the marie clare article yesterday it got me thinking about those magazines and why i pretty much stopped reading them.

    it just makes you think, is all. and the number of days i completely flip flop - feeling pretty okay with how i look now, to feeling completely NOT okay with it but not wanting to give up burritos or beer, either... it is just awfully confusing.

    By Anonymous elizabetht, at October 27, 2010 11:09 AM  

  • I just stumbled across your blog while on the Healthy Lifestyle Bloggers site, and I think it's great! I'll be back.

    I just read the article by Maura Kelly of Marie Claire and was so surprised by how nasty and judgmental it was. I'd always considered that magazine to be fairly reasonable as far as women's fashion mags go. How was that article supposed to help anybody?

    By Anonymous Brigid, at November 02, 2010 8:57 PM  

  • :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 08, 2010 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger