Something to chew on

Friday, July 06, 2007

Is This What It's Like to Have Kids???

Poor ol' T.J. He woke us (well, Cole) up at 2:30 this morning. He was running around like a crazed dog, even jumped up on our bed to get our attention. I noticed none of this, so Cole finally woke me up to let me know something was going on...

Upon turning on a couple of lights, we could see that T.J. was covered in little red bumps. Hundreds of them. So covered that his normally sleek black coat looked like the lumpy skin of a giant toad. And his face was swollen. So much so that we couldn't even see his cute little teeth.

I called our vet's phone number, which I knew would have an emergency number listed. I called that number and got someone named Chris on the phone who immediately thought it was hives after hearing my description and asked if we had any Benadryl on hand. For some odd reason (probably something T.J.-related), we had some children's chewable grape tablets in the medicine cabinet. Chris said to give T.J. three of them. So, I crushed them into some peanut butter -- Thunder and Bugsy also got a special midnight snack covered in peanut butter -- and we waited.

Almost an hour later, T.J. still couldn't get comfortable, and I was still awake listening for him (Cole had been snoring again for several minutes), so T.J. and I moved into the living room to allow Cole to get a couple more hours of sleep. It was almost 4 a.m. at this point. I turned on the light and noticed that the Benadryl was apparently working on his skin, a good many of his bumps were gone, but his face and neck were still pretty swollen and spongy to the touch. So at 7:30, I called Dr. Garza's office and secured an 11:30 appointment.

After a steroid shot from Dr. Garza and a couple of treats, T.J. slept all afternoon. Dr. Garza didn't think he got into anything terrible, but definitely something that gave him quite a reaction. He's supposed to continue on his grape Benadryl through the weekend. Hopefully we won't see any lingering problems at all come Monday...

Apart from that, here is how my day has gone...

Breakfast: SB bar: 3 points
yogurt smoothie: 1 point

Mid-morning snack: WW snack cake: 1 point

Lunch: half a peanut butter sandwich: 5 points
salad: 3 points

Afternoon snack: pecan halves: 3 points

Dinner: I'm going to Java Judi's for a scrapbooking/cardmaking Open House. I'll try to keep my hors d'oeuvres to 6 points.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Been there, done that with Tess.....you could have called us! It's pretty scary, I was afraid the hives would go down Tess' throat, her face was so swollen.
    How is T.J. this evening?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 06, 2007 7:41 PM  

  • Ohhhh, that's right, I forgot Tess had the same issue not too long ago...

    He's doing so much better this evening. Though he is sleeping quite a bit, has been all day, I guess because of the Benadryl. He's eating and drinking just fine, so that's good too.

    By Blogger Summer, at July 06, 2007 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
SummerTX's photos More of SummerTX's photos
          Healthy Lifestyle Blogger